Have you been firing up the grill often? This past week, I made dinner on the grill almost every night! It's easy, delicious, and you don't make too much of a mess in the kitchen. I'm so excited to give you this brand new foil packet sausage and potatoes recipe! I buy a pack of sausages practically every week, I love how versatile and readily available they are.
So what is this whole foil packet thing?
A foil packet is a great way to cook a variety of dishes from sides to desserts. The food is seasoned and tucked in a neatly folded foil packet and cooked directly on the grill. It's a simple no mess way to cook food when your traveling or even in your own backyard!
What you need for this foil packet sausage and potatoes:
- Sausages- I like to use sweet Italian sausages, I find them versatile and delicious. However, you can substitute for any flavor you'd like....you can even try hotdogs!
- Potatoes- Baby potatoes are best, since they are easy to prepare. Yukon gold, red, or multicolor works perfectly. You can also cut up regular potatoes.
- Red pepper- Adds a little color and another level of flavor.
- Corn- Corn on the cob is the best because it's peak season is now! We prefer it cut off the cob but you can also slice it in to coins.
- Olive oil, smoked paprika, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder- This seasoning mix brings the flavors all together!
How to assemble the dish
Start by mixing everything together in a big bowl.
Next, rip a medium sized sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. PLEASE use heavy duty! You don't want your packets to break and scatter all over the grill. Then follow this method for folding: *DO NOT FOLD THE PACKET TOO TIGHT!!!
Cooking the foil packets
Heat an outdoor grill to medium-low. Cook the foil packets for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
More Summer BBQ recipes
If you made this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments below!! It means the world to me!
Foil Packet Sausage and Potatoes
- Heavy duty foil
- 4 Italian sausages sliced into coins
- 2 cups baby potatoes sliced in half
- 1 large red pepper sliced into strips
- 2 ears corn on the cob sliced off the cob or into coins
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-low heat.
- Combine the sausages, potatoes, red pepper strips, and corn in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil and seasonings and toss to coat.
- Rip a medium sized piece of heavy duty foil. Spoon 4-5 spoonful's of the mixture into the middle of the foil.
- Fold the left side of the foil over the right.
- Seal the bottom half that's facing you by folding.
- Rotate the packet so the right side is facing you and fold.
- Rotate the packet again and fold the last remaining open side.
- Give all the sides one more fold, CAREFUL NOT TO FOLD IT TOO TIGHT!! You don't want the packet to burst from the pressure when it's on the heat. Make sure there is decent space for airflow within the packet.
- Grill for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Transfer to a platter and serve, or eat directly out of the packet!
Until next time,