ahhhh... summer has finally arrived. Well, almost. School is out next week so we're practically there. I always appreciate a good drink to accompany my mood. Burning hot coffee in the morning to wake my brain up, a spicy cinnamon tea on a chilly October morning...it just sets the tone. Now that summer has arrived, I'm all for the iced drinks. This watermelon iced green tea refresher is the perfect way to enjoy a lazy summer afternoon, a BBQ with friends, or anytime you feel like enjoying summer in a glass.
What you need to make this watermelon iced green tea refresher
- Green tea bags - Plain regular 'ole green tea without any flavorings. You can get decaf or regular, whichever you prefer.
- Fresh watermelon juice - Made by blending fresh watermelon cubes and straining.
- Fresh mint
- Honey for sweetener (optional)
How to put this all together
Brew the tea: Start by steeping the tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time to extract flavor from the tea bags and avoid any bitter notes.
Make the drink: Remove the tea bags and either refrigerate or add 1 ½ cups of ice, if serving immediately. Next, pour in the watermelon juice. Add in sliced lime and mint. Serve over additional ice, if desired.
Can this drink be made in advance?
Certainly! If your making this in advance, you can mix brewed tea with the watermelon juice and refrigerate. Add in the limes and mint before serving over ice.
Best way to juice watermelon
I simply toss the watermelon cubes into a blender and blend. Next, I strain the juice through a strainer and enjoy or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Tips for the watermelon iced green tea refresher
The drink tends to separate after sitting for a little while so just mix again before serving or drinking.
More summer drinks
Watermelon Iced Green Tea Refresher
- 4 green tea bags
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 3 cups ice
- 1 ½ cup watermelon juice
- ½ lime sliced
- handful fresh mint
- drizzle of honey
- Brew the tea: Start by steeping the tea bags in the hot water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and refrigerate for later use.
- To serve: add in watermelon juice, lime slices and honey. Serve over ice. *If your serving immediately, Add the ice, watermelon juice, limes, mint and honey. Serve over additional ice, if desired.