I know that there's always room for another good chicken dinner recipe. I also know that there's a good chance most of us don't have the brain space to make overly complicated dinner recipes on a weeknight. We just want to make some thing that takes minimal prep time, ingredients and cook time, if possible. Are you in? Great. Let's get started on this one pan baked chicken and yellow rice. You'll be amazed at how good it tastes with such a minimal amount of effort.
Ingredients needed for one pan baked chicken and yellow rice
For the chicken:
- Chicken thighs- skin on.
- Olive oil, or oil of your choice
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
For the rice:
- Red pepper (optional)
- Frozen peas (optional)
- Uncooked Basmati rice - Basmati is my go-to rice. You can easily substitute for Jasmine rice, another type of long-grain rice, in a pinch.
- Chicken broth - I generally freeze my leftover chicken soup and use it as broth when I cook. You can totally substitute for store-bought.
Preheat oven to 375F. Combine the chicken, oil and spices in a large bowl. Make sure the thighs are coated well with the seasoning blend and then set aside. Pour the rice, broth and seasonings into an oven safe 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and spray the top of the chicken thighs with oil for a crispier finish, if desired. Continue baking the chicken for an additional 20-30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through. Serve immediately.
Storing and Reheating
Store baked chicken and rice covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, cover the pan loosely with foil and bake on 350F, until warmed through, approximately 20 minutes.
This one pan baked chicken and yellow rice is a favorite because
- It's a one pan dinner- the raw rice and chicken cook together at the same time.
- Quick to prepare- this dish generally takes me 10 minutes or less to throw together.
- It's very delicious!
More one pan recipes
I love hearing from you! Please feel free to leave a comment, question or recipe rating below. You can also message me over on Instagram!
One Pan Baked Chicken and Yellow Rice
- 5 skin on bone in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cups hot chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen peas optional
- ½ red pepper cut into strips, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Start by preparing the chicken. Combine the olive oil, spices, and chicken thighs in a bowl. Toss until the chicken is coated in the oil and spices and then set aside.
- In a 9x13 dish, combine the rice, hot broth, turmeric, and salt. Add in the vegetables if using and mix. Place the chicken pieces on top of the rice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray if desired for extra crispiness.
- Bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.