It's about time I get this recipe up on the blog! Whenever I post my quick basic chicken stir fry on my Instagram stories, I get questions asking me for the recipe. There's something to be said about having a bunch of dinner recipes in your back pocket. I highly recommend doing the prep first, and then cook. Chop up all those veggies, whisk up the sauce, etc. then crank up the music and COOK!
What's in this quick basic chicken stir fry?
- Boneles skinless chicken breasts
- Assorted veggies
- A sauce made with soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic and cornstarch.
How to make it:
Start by heating up a wok or a large skillet with olive oil. Cook cubed chicken until it's no longer pink on all sides. Remove the chicken from the wok with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Add in the veggies and cook for 5-7 minutes, until crisp tender. Add in the sauce and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring often. At this time the vegetables should be soft and the sauce should have thickened and be coating them nicely. Add in the chicken cubes and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until the chicken cubes are cooked through. Serve with noodles or rice.
What vegetables should I use?
There is quite the wide range of vegetables that you could use in a stir fry. I chose to use peppers, carrots, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, bean sprouts, canned baby corn and mini broccoli. Other common vegetables include water chestnuts, spinach, and bamboo shoots.
All about that sauce
This sauce is my golden lucky sauce. It pairs well with any kind of stir fry like veggie, beef, tofu and well of course chicken! Feel free to double the recipe and store it in your fridge for the next time. Just stir before you pour it in, as the cornstarch tends to settle to the bottom.
What can you serve this quick basic chicken stir fry with?
There's lots of options! You can use brown rice or white rice or any kind of noodle like ramen, soba, or lo mein.
More quick dinner recipes
Quick Basic Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips or cubes
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 can cut baby corn
- 1 ½ cups mini or regular broccoli
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup baby carrots cut in half
- ¾ cup sugar snap or snow peas
Stir Fry Sauce
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey optional, for a sweeter variation
- Start by prepping the sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or jar. Whisk to combine or shake. Set aside.
- Cut all the veggies and transfer to a large bowl. Cut the chicken according to your preference.
- Heat up a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Cook the chicken pieces for a few minutes until they are lightly browned. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add in your veggies and cook for 7-10 minutes, until they are softened. Pour in the sauce and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. It should be thick and coat the vegetables. Add in the chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles.