I got an astounding vote this past Friday regarding my crispy sesame chicken recipe. I posted a poll late Friday afternoon, as I was cooking, if I should share the recipe. The poll got well over 300 votes for “YES” before Shabbos rolled in at sundown! The people want the recipe! You shall get the recipe.
I love creating American Chinese takeout food at home. You simply serve it over a bowl of fluffy rice or ramen noodles, (like my beef and broccoli ramen) and boom! You have a crave worthy dinner, you’ll make again and again.
crispy sesame chicken
This dish is pretty simple in terms of ingredients. Here’s what you will need for this dish:
- Boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Ginger powder
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sesame Seeds
how to make sesame chicken
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Whisk together the egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add in the pieces of chicken and toss to coat.
Whisk together the sauce ingredients.
First, heat the olive oil up in a pan. Next, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Pour the sauce into the pan and cook the chicken over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens.
how to serve
Garnish the sesame chicken with scallions and serve over rice. This dish goes really well with a side of steamed vegetables like sugar snap peas or broccoli.
Chicken thighs: You can swap out the chicken breasts for boneless and skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
Baked: Instead of frying the chicken, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cornstarch coated chicken on the sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes on 375 F.
Crispy Sesame Chicken
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce optional
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, egg, salt and pepper. Add the chicken cubes to the bowl and toss well to coat.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat up 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cook the chicken until it’s golden on both sides, working in batches. Use the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil as needed.
- Once the chicken is done, pour the sauce over the chicken and cook until it thickens.
- Toss in the sesame seeds and mix.
- Garnish with chopped scallions serve over rice.
I love to see what you’ve made from my blog over on Instagram so don’t forget to tag me!