Ah the quick little blurb about the recipe is my favorite place. It's also the spot to give credit where credit is due, and in this case it's to my friend (you know who you are) for introducing me to what we've all coined "the best pulled chicken nachos" What makes it THE BEST is that it's super simple to make, can be assembled in minutes, and tastes amazing. Let's dive in!
What do you need for the best pulled chicken nachos?
- A whole chicken- I like to get mine spatchcocked which means the backbone is removed. This helps the chicken cook super evenly and even quicker then a regular whole roasted chicken. No need to whip out the chicken scissors, a lot of supermarkets carry chicken that is already spatchcocked or are more then willing to do it for you when asked.
- Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder- the 4 spices I've nicknamed the "mommy spices" It's the basic blend every homemaker knows will make chicken turn out fabulous everytime.
- Olive oil- my preffered choice of oil, but you can use whatever you usually use to roast chicken.
- Tortilla chips- blue corn, yellow corn, whatever shape and style you would like.
- Pico de gallo - totally optional though I really appreciate the freshnes to cut through the juicy chicken and double sauces. Feel free to make your own with this recipe, or use your favorite store bought brand.
- BBQ sauce
- Truffle mayo or Ceaser dressing
How to make it:
Start by preparing the chicken. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the chicken on top. Drizzle it with olive oil and season with the spices. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Meanwhile, mash the avocado and season with salt. If your making Pico de Gallo, make it now. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and shred with gloved hands or two forks. Top the chips with shredded chicken, Pico, avocado, mayo or dressing and BBQ sauce.
Preparing in advance and storing
YES! This definitely can be made in advance. Both the baked chicken and Pico de Gallo can be made ahead of time. Keep the chicken whole to maintain the juiciness. It's best eaten right after it's assembled, as the chips eventually loose their crunch.
The Best Pulled Chicken Nachos
- 1 whole chicken spatchcocked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 3 avocadoes mashed with a sprinkle of salt
- Pico de gallo optional
- truffle mayo or caeser dressing for drizzling
- BBQ sauce for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and spices. Roast for 50- 60 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers at 165F.
- While the chicken is roasting, make the pico de gallo and mashed avocado and set aside.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and shred with (gloved!) hands or two forks.
- Top the chips with pulled chicken, avocado, pico, truffle mayo and bbq sauce.