Here’s a quick excerpt from my brain on how I decided to post an apple and honey board for Rosh Hashanah. I myself find it interesting to hear the story behind a dish, or the events that led someone to create what they did. If it’s not your thing, you can continue your scroll! This idea actually came to me last year, on erev Rosh Hashanah. I had a variety of apples in my crisper from various recipes both for work and for the holiday itself. I also realized that I actually had a few varieties of honey as well. There you have it, an idea for a board, Rosh Hashanah edition, was born! I often like to incorporate the simanim into the dishes I make, so I thought this was a fun and beautiful way to start the meal.
What you need to create your own board
- Board– anything will do from a cutting board to a marble slab.
- Honey varieties– I will go through some of my favorites below, but when you are deciding what to use, think of the different shapes and colors.
- Assorted apples– I love a good apple rainbow, but any variation will do!
About the honey…
I chose honey sticks for the kids, honeycomb for aesthetics, and a light clover honey for the rest of us. There are so many great choices like flavored honey sticks and infused honey. You can check out your local grocery store or shop my Rosh Hashanah amazon list for more ideas.
About the board:
You can use a wood cutting board, a platter, or any sot of board you might have on hand. I love this marble and wood board for it’s blend of chic and classy.
How to assemble the board:
Start by washing and slicing up the apples. You can dip them into lemon juice if you want to prevent them from getting too brown too quickly. It won’t last for hours, but it will delay the browning process.
Next, you can pull out the board your using as the base and begin assembling the honey:
Next, add in the apple slices all around the honey.
Effortless and visually stunning.
I had a cute idea as I was arranging this board, to add some little sugar honey bees. Too bad I didn’t think of it earlier!
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. I make a small commission off of any purchases you make through these links. It’s just one of the many ways I make money from my blog. Thanks for your support!
Apple and Honey Board for Rosh Hashanah
- A board or serving platter
- 4 whole apples cut into slices
- 3 or more varieties of honey
- 2 lemons juiced to prevent browning
- Start by slicing up the apples. Juice 2 lemons, and dip the slices in if desired.
- Arrange the honey varieties on your board or serving platter.
- Place the apple slices all around the honey. Enjoy and Shana Tova!!
More Yummy Apple Recipes