Today is a sad day on the Jewish calendar, and we fast to commemorate several Jewish tragedies. It's the beginning of a mourning period called "the 3 weeks". Many people are looking to fill the long day with cooking and baking delicious foods to break the fast on. My how to: garlic knots recipe, is comforting and easy to make with either homemade pizza dough or store-bought.
Ingredients you'll need:
- Pizza dough
- Minced fresh garlic or frozen cubes
- Parsley flakes
How to: Garlic knots
Start by making your pizza dough, or following the directions on a frozen dough package. Prepare the garlic butter and set aside. Once the dough has risen generously, punch it down and form into a log. Slice the dough with a knife or bench scraper into approximately 12 1" even sized strips. Roll the strips into a 8" rope. Tie the ropes into a knot and then let them rise for an additional 10-15 minutes. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet until golden brown. Let them cool and enjoy dipped into marinara sauce or with soup.
It's best to freeze the garlic knots if your not going to enjoy them right away. Let them cool completely and then wrap each knot in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in a large Ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
How to: Garlic knots
Thin crust pizza dough recipe
- 1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
- ¾ c warm water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
Using homemade dough
- Combine the yeast, water, and sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Add in the flour, salt, and olive oil and mix well. The dough should start to wrap itself around the dough hook. If you see that it's still sticking a little bit, add a bit more flour. If the dough looks too dry and doesn't come together after about 2 minutes of kneading, add a little more olive oil. Grease a bowl well with olive oil. Remove the dough from the mixer and form into a smooth ball. Place the dough in the bowl and toss to coat in the olive oil. Let the dough rose for at least 30 minutes and up to 1.5 hours. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and gently punch it down. Continue with the directions under the store bought dough.
Using store bought dough
- Preheat oven to 400F. Defrost the dough according to package directions.
- Form the dough into a log and slice into about 12 1" sized even pieces.
- Roll each piece out into a 8" long rope and then tie into a knot.
- Place the knots on a parchment lined baking sheet and let them rise for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the dough with garlic butter and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush again with the garlic butter as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Stir the melted butter, garlic, salt and parsley flakes together.
More delicious dairy recipes
I love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave any questions or comments below!