So many good memories surround my Mom's famous potato salad recipe. Summer days often called for BBQ’s in the park with my extended family. My mom would always bring her potato salad that she would start preparing early in the morning, so that it had proper time to chill. There was never any leftovers!! I've tweaked mom's recipe by adding the crispy potato chips and beef bacon on top for an extra crunch!
What you need for Mom's famous potato salad
- Baby red potatoes- the perfect size for potato salad, with minimal slicing required
- Mayonnaise- I like to always use light mayonnaise, but you can use whichever kind you like
- Pickles- any kind you like!
- Celery- adds great texture
- Salt, pepper and paprika
- Additional garnishes as desired (fresh dill, beef bacon, and crushed potato chips)
How to make it
Start by boiling the potatoes in cold water. While the potatoes are cooking, chop up the pickles and celery. Dice up the beef bacon and cook in a skillet until browned and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and store in the fridge. After about 20 minutes, slide a fork into the potatoes. If it goes through with ease, drain and rinse. If not, cook for an additional 10-20 minutes. Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes and slice into halves. Add in the mayo, celery, pickles, and spices. Chill the salad for at least 2 hours before serving. Top with chopped fresh dill, beef bacon, and crushed potato chips.
Storing Mom's famous potato salad
You can prepare the salad and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Garnish before serving!
More summer recipes
You may substitute the baby red potatoes with any other type of white or Yukon gold potatoes that you like, just remember to adjust the cooking time.
Mom's Famous Potato Salad
- 3 Lbs Baby red potatoes
- 5 mini pickles, diced (for Pesach use kosher for Passover pickles with no vinegar)
- 2 Stalks celery, diced
- ¾ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- to taste Salt & Pepper
- 1 Bunch Fresh dill, for garnish (you may substitute for 1 teaspoon dry dill)
- 1 snack bag size Salted potato chips, for garnish
- 4 oz beef bacon
- Rinse potatoes and place in a pot. Fill with cold water, until just covering the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until a fork slides through a potato with ease (30-40 minutes) Drain.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the diced beef bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate or container and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Slice the potatoes in half. Transfer to a bowl, mix in the pickles, celery, mayonnaise and spices.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.Garnish with dill, beef bacon and chips before serving.
Did you make this recipe? Have any comments or questions? Feel free to leave them in the comments section below. I love hearing from you!! You can also DM me over on Instagram.