Blueberry season is rolling in and theses buttery blueberry crumble bars are the perfect thing to bake with that big container of blueberries that you just bought. They are easy to put together and oh so delicious!
I love that this recipe is made with simple baking ingredients that you probably already have on hand. (My favorite kind of recipes.) Nobody needs to run to the store now just to buy hemp milk or something…
I also love the fact that it’s in season now and the blueberries just literally pop in your mouth.
How to make buttery blueberry crumble bars:
The crust and crumble on top are made out of the same things. You simply leave over 1/4 of it and sprinkle on top after you put the filling in.
Start by mixing together the sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, flour and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, beat together the egg and vanilla extract then add it to the flour mixture bowl. Stir to combine. Take your softened butter and cut it into small pieces. Crumble it into your mixture. I prefer to use my hands to do this but you can use a fork or a pastry blender.
Take your parchment lined 8×8″ pan and press 3/4 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan to form a nice crust.
Set your pan aside and prepare the filling ingredients. Toss them on top of the crust and then crumble the remaining crumb mixture on top of the blueberries.
Bake on 375 F for 45 minutes, until the blueberries are oozing and jam like and the crumbs are golden.
Cool before cutting them into squares.
More crumble bar recipes:
Buttery Blueberry Crumble Bars
Crust and crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter cut into pieces
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the egg and vanilla extract. Add it to the flour mixture.
- Add in the butter pieces and crumble them with your hands to form crumbs.
- Press 3/4 of the crumble into a parchment lined 8 x 8″ Set aside the remaining 1/4 while preparing the filling.
- Prepare the filling by combining the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a bowl. Toss on top of the crust.
- Crumble the remaining crust on top. Bake for 45 minutes until the blueberries burst and the crumbs are golden.
I absolutely love baking with blueberries and I can’t wait to enjoy them in more desserts!
Stay safe everyone.