“Are you sick of banana bread?” I asked on Instagram a few weeks ago. The majority of you answered no, so this post is for all of you! After running out of every other oil except olive oil, I decided to healthify my whole recipe and here we are with my better for you banana bread!
Yes, baked goods are not “healthy” I always say, if you want to be healthy, eat a carrot stick, not cake. However, it’s possible to make delicious baked goods that have more nutritious ingredients like this better for you banana bread. Here’s what’s inside:
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup or honey
- Greek yogurt (Can sub for non-dairy yogurt or milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Bananas (preferably overripe ones with black spots)
- Whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat)
- Baking soda
- Dark Chocolate chunks
How to make banana bread
Mash the bananas: Start by mashing the bananas with a fork or in the bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add in the wet ingredients: Next, add in the maple syrup, yogurt, vanilla extract, egg, and olive oil.
Fold in the dry ingredients: Pour in the flour, cinnamon and baking soda and mix until combined.
Add in the chocolate chunks: Fold in the chunks with a spatula.
Use a greased or parchment paper lined standard (8×4) loaf pan for this recipe. Bake on 350 F for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack . Cool completely before slicing.
Want more loaf cake recipes? Check these out:
Better for you banana bread
- 2 whole bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk or greek yogurt (you may sub for non-dairy alternatives)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mash the bananas with a fork or in the bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment. Add in the eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. MIx until combined. Pour in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chunks with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into a greased or parchment lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
As always, I love seeing when you make my recipes so please feel free to send me a DM over on Instagram!