Potato Leek Soup
This velvety potato leek soup is perfect for warming up on those chilly nights.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 head garlic
- 3 whole leeks, sliced light green parts only
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 medium golden potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5 cups vegetable stock You may substitute with water, but I prefer vegetable stock for flavor.
- 2 tsp salt add more as needed
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- truffle oil for garnish optional
- chives for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice off the top of the garlic head and place in a small baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
While the garlic is baking, heat the remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute' the leeks and onions for 15-20 minutes on low heat until they are darkened and caramelized. Add in the potatoes, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
Cook the soup for approximately an hour, or until the potatoes are cooked through. When the garlic is ready, remove from the oven and let it cool. Squeeze out the roasted cloves and add it to the soup just before blending. Season blended soup with more salt and pepper as needed. Drizzle the soup with truffle oil and garnish with chives before serving.