I've been cooking gluten free dinners for the past month or so, and that has really challenged me to rethink my food habits. Not that being gluten free in itself is necessarily healthy (unless you can't tolerate it, I'm not talking about that...) There are so many gf products out there and it's so important to realize that although it may not contain gluten, it can still be full of other things we don't want to put into our bodies. Here's where the chicken fajita rice bowls come in.....
I've been looking for ways to make healthy dinners without resorting to buying gluten free versions of everything. Rice, of all colors and sizes has become a huge staple in our house! I took my chicken fajita recipe, which is an oldie but goodie, and decided to build a rice bowl with allllll the toppings!
Start off with a good spice rub
Now this is where the secret lies. If you have a moment to whip up this homemade spice rub, PLEASE DO! It's that good. My little weapon is the Trader Joe's chili lime seasoning, which is so delicious. If you don't have it, you can use chili powder instead, so you don't need to run to TJ's tomorrow. Unless you want to.....I'm not stopping you from the alluring trip to Trader Joe's. This spice rub includes:
- Trader Joe's Chili lime seasoning
- garlic powder
- ground coriander
How to make this recipe
Slice up the peppers and chicken into nice thin strips and toss them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Drizzle the chicken and peppers with olive oil. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over everything and toss to coat.
Roast on 425 F for 25-30 minutes.
Base serving ideas
Enjoy the chicken and peppers over any one of these 3 bases:
Topping serving ideas for your chicken fajita rice bowls
There are so many delicious toppings you can put on top of your fajitas. Here's a few of my favorites:
- Pico de gallo
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Black beans
- Non-dairy sour cream
Storing and reheating
The fajitas are best when enjoyed immediately. To store, place in a container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven on 350 F, until warmed through.
Want more great dinner recipes?
Check out these favorites!
Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
- 2 teaspoon Trader joe's chili lime seasoning or plain chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 3 whole peppers, assorted colors
- ¼ of a red onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Black beans
- Pico de gallo
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Cilantro leaves
- Combine the spice rub ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Slice up the chicken strips, red onion, and peppers. Place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle oil over the pan and sprinkle on the seasoning blend. Toss well to coat all the pieces.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While the chicken and vegetables are roasting, prepare your desired toppings.
- When the chicken is ready, spoon rice into a bowl and top with chicken mixture and toppings.
Until next time,