I’ve learned that the kids need entertainment AFTER camp. “What are we doing today?!” My daughter always asks at pick-up time. Uhm, wait why do you still have so much energy?! Yesterday we went to Target, that was fun, but more like a once a month or once a year kinda thing with kids. So today when I said ” We’re going to make the best monster cookies ever” I knew we would both be really happy! Also, it’s like 100 F. So like what were our options?
What are monster cookies?
According to the sources (i.e. google) monster cookies are called by that name because they are a mashup of different cookie components. They have peanut butter, m&m’s, chocolate chips, and oats all in one!
How to make monster cookies:
- Start by mixing up your dry ingredients of rolled oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set it aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the peanut butter, margarine or butter, brown sugar and sugar and smooth and creamy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour in the reserved dry ingredient mixture and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and m&m’s.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden on the edges.
What else can I add to my cookies?
Try adding in some pretzels, chopped nuts, or raisins if you’d like. You can also top the cookies with flaky salt, such as Maldon, as soon as they come out of the oven.
I love that these cookies don’t need any refrigeration time. Kids aren’t the most patient people on the planet as it is, so we did go through the “Are they ready yet?” every 30 seconds. Can’t imagine if we would have had to wait for refrigeration time!!! Whew.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off those links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Just one of the ways I make money from my blog. Thanks for your support!
The Best Monster Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats I prefer regular but you can also use quick cooking for a slightly different texture
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter you may substitute with coconut oil if desired
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup m&m or chocolate lentils (not mint!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set it aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the peanut butter, margarine, and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until it’s well incorporated.
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet ingredients. Add in the m&m’s and chocolate chips and mix them with a spatula.
- Scoop out the cookies and place them at least 2″ apart on the cookie sheets. Add more m&m’s or chocolate chips on top for decoration. (optional) Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.