Let’s start off with the name lemony loaf cake 2.0. Did you every have a staring contest with the Starbucks lemon loaf cake? For some reason it’s just the perfect treat to pair with your coffee. Being a kosher consumer, staring is the farthest I got. Until, I made my own lemony loaf cake back in the summer of 2018. It was a match made in heaven just as I had suspected.
However, in that recipe I used Wilton’s lemon flavor concentrate for a delicious lemon flavor, which doesn’t seem to be around anymore.
While shopping in Trader Joe’s this past winter, an idea hit me like a ton of bricks. Why don’t I just use REAL Meyer lemons? (duh right?!) I excitedly went home and tinkered with my lemon cake recipe until I got the ratio just so. I called in my taste testers (my husband and daughter) and served them a slice without telling them I had changed up the original. Guess what? They didn’t notice. If you know KIDS in general, they are actually sneaky food detectives and can taste EVERYTHING. Like when you buy a different package of hot dogs because they were on sale type of everything.
I’d say that was mission accomplished.
What are meyer lemons?
They are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. That gives them different characteristics and flavor then a regular lemon. They have a darker skin that’s more on the orange side, and they are smaller and rounder than regular lemons.
The big difference is the TASTE! Meyer lemons are much sweeter. They do not have the same tang as a regular lemon.
Greek yogurt: My real secret ingredient in this cake is Greek yogurt. It’s creaminess keeps it moist and the tartness imparts a real crave-able flavor! You can feel free to substitute this with a non-dairy yogurt…but remember that it’s best friend is coffee so….
Meyer lemons: I’ve used lemon extract in this recipe as well and it works but it’s not the same. Make sure you are using a high quality extract for the recipe since it is lemon forward. I substituted the fresh juice for 1 1/2 tbsp lemon extract. Please DO NOT use a regular lemon!!
Lemony Loaf Cake 2.0
- Loaf pan
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 5.3 oz containers plain greek yogurt (or 300 grams/1.2 cups)
- 1/2 cup` coconut oil may substitute for a different oil
- 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup` powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 -1 1/2 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, and yogurt until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add in the melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix to combine.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt until there are no more lumps.
- Pour cake batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice together. The icing should be thick and not drippy. Add the additional 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice as needed.
I love baking this cake for Shabbos morning. It really makes for an extra special treat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Love loaf cakes? Check out these other favorites:
Until next time,