Happy Memorial Day weekend! If you’r living on the east coast you know we’ve already had our fair share of springtime showers. This weekend is no exception. On these days, I feel like having a cozy meal, but I still want to embrace spring! That’s where this light spring minestrone soup enters.
So instead of firing up the grill today, (sigh) I’ll be tucking in with a hunk of bread and this springtime soup. I love to cook with the flavors of the season. When i’m brainstorming for a new recipe idea, the first thing I do is check what fruits and vegetables are in season that month. This soup is full of spring goodies like asparagus and peas. It also has all the essential of a good minestrone including cute little pieces of pasta and fire roasted tomatoes. When I made this last week, I added some shredded chicken to it and it became a full meal. It was light and refreshing after a week of indulging ourselves over Shavuos.
It’s a little selfish of me, but i know i’ll be spending this weekend packing, so I’m cool with this rain. We’ve only got a week and a half to go until we move into our new home!
So cozy up with this bowl of soup today, and hope that the sun comes out tomorrow!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 32 oz container vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can cannelloni beans
- 1 bag frozen chopped asparagus, or 1 bunch of asparagus cut into small pieces
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1/2 box of ditalini pasta (or any other small pasta)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water or more stock as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium-low flame. Saute' the leek and onion, until soft, fragrant, and slightly caramelized. Add in the garlic and carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the can of fire roasted tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil. When the soup is boiling, add in the beans and chopped asparagus. Turn the flame to medium low and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add in the peas and pasta and cook until the pasta is cooked through, around 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional water or stock as needed.
- Serve with bread or shredded chicken for a complete meal.