Who doesn’t love a good sticky batch of chicken poppers? When I was coming up with the concept for the pomegranate chicken poppers, I told my husband I want to make wings. He said, “Wings? Why would you make wings if I don’t like them? Make poppers!” Oh poppers. Duh. I hadn’t made poppers in forever and I was in no mood to fry. (Surprise! I hate frying.) I was super determined to come up with a good crunchy baked popper recipe.
Luckily, it was easy. Crushed cornflakes cereal crumbs (which we always have on hand. My daughter is obsessed and has coined it “Daddy cereal” although he hasn’t eaten it in months) made a crispy coating and I baked them hot and quick. Done. Now for the sauce……..
That took considerably longer. My stove top was stained red from the pomegranate juice as I tried to find the best sweet but not too sweet balance.
I’m feeling it’s just right, but i added the option to add more honey if you’d like. I hope you make this on repeat. Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram when you do @tomatoes_tomahtos. It makes my day when I see I’ve created something you and your family enjoy.
- 5 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1/4 c flour
- 4 eggs
- 6 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Pomegranate seeds, sesame seeds, and scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Combine the pomegranate juice, ketchup, and honey in a large saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to a low boil. Keep an eye on it and stir it occasionally.
- Next, combine your breading assembly line. In a large bowl, toss the chicken cubes in flour.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and place them next to the bowl of chicken.
- Pour the cornflakes and spices into a Ziploc bag and crush them.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Dip the chicken cubes in egg, cornflakes, and place them on a baking sheet at least 1/4" apart.
- Bake for 18 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- The sauce should be thick and reduced to about half by now.
- Toss the chicken in the sauce and garnish with pomegranate seeds, sesame seeds, and scallions.