Have you had your fill of honey cakes yet?! Every Rosh Hashanah I make my mums (Yossi’s mum) apple cake! It’s simple and so moist and delicious. I made it in mini springform pans for aesthetics but feel free to make it in a regular ole pan. The honey whiskey ice cream is a fun twist of flavors for this time of year. Have your apple + honey in the form of cake and ice cream. What could be better?
- 1 Cup Self Raising flour
- 1 1/2 sticks of margarine
- 1/2 Cup confectioners Sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 eggs
- Generous 1 Lb very thinly sliced apples
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp jam any flavor (I used strawberry-blueberry)
- Ice cream:
- 16oz Rich's Whip
- 3 eggs
- 1 Cup confectioners sugar
- 4 tsp whiskey
- 3 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Oil or line a 9" pan or 5 4" springform pans.
- Beat all the cake ingredients in a the bowl of a mixer until smooth.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter on base of the pan.
- Arrange sliced apples on top of the batter and sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and then dot with the jam evenly over the top.
- Dot the remaining cake mixture by teaspoon all over the apple/jam filling,
- Place in the oven. After 10 min open the oven and carefully smooth cake mixture roughly over top of cake to fill in any gaps.
- Bake for 45-50 min untill golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ice cream.
- In the bowl of a mixer whisk eggs until fluffy.
- Add the Rich's whip into the bowl and whip.
- Slowly add in the confectioners sugar, whiskey and honey.
- Freeze overnight.
Recipe pe as appeared in AMI magazine.
Photo credits: Esti Photography