There is a certain feeling of excitement when summer fruits first hit the shelves in the seasonal farmers’ markets. Last year, I got a bit carried away and picked out a “full-sized” watermelon for my little family of three. For the next week and a half, we discovered about 700 culinary uses for the never ending watermelon. One delicious recipe resulting from this episode was this Watermelon Gazpacho—it’s extra refreshing on a hot summer’s day. Serve it poolside or as an appetizer for lunch/dinner!
- 4 cups watermelon (plus cubes for garnish)
- 1 ½ pounds tomatoes, peeled
- 1 Kirby cucumber
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼-½ teaspoon chili flakes (to your taste)
- Crushed pistachios, for garnish
- Olive oil, for garnish
Combine watermelon, tomato, cucumber, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, lime juice, red wine vinegar and chili flakes in a blender, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate overnight, or at least an hour before serving.
Mix well before pouring into a chilled martini glass and garnish with olive oil, watermelon chunks, and crushed pistachio
Photography: Esti Photography