Well….the holidays have come to an end (for now) and the washing machine has been viciously spinning for the past 24 hours. Im pretty sure my body still thinks it’s getting fed two insanely large meals a day because I’ve made a generous dent on the new goodies I stocked up on. I can’t say I’m ready to go cold turkey and eat only healthy food until the donuts and latkes come out…but I think this salad is a nudge in the right direction!! It’s loaded with fall yuminess and filling to keep me out of the snacks for a few minutes. Feel free to swap out the sweet potatoes for roasted squash or the arugula for spinach or kale! Heeey sweater weather. I got this.
Yields: 2 portions
2 sweet potatoes peeled, cubed and roasted with olive oil salt and pepper at 400F until soft
1 small apple sliced
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
1 1/2 c Quinoa cooked according to package directions
1 c baby arugula
4 boneless chicken thighs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp parsley flakes
2 tbsp olive oil
* Preheat your oven to 350F*
1. Combine the chicken thighs, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and parsley flakes in a re-sealable plastic bag. It’s best to marinate them at this point, but if your in a hurry, you can grill them right away.
2. Toss together the cooked Quinoa, arugula, pomegranate seeds, roasted sweet potatoes and sliced apples.
3. Toss with the dressing of your choice. (I prefer olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper)
4. Heat a grill pan to medium-high and grill the chicken thighs 7-8 minutes a side.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until no longer pink.
6. Slice and serve on top of the salad.